Sunday, April 5, 2020

Contouring, maintaining equanimity...our daily life

Robert Macfarlane : Word of the Day: "contouring" - when traversing steep or unsure ground, picking a path that holds its height. On the hill, as in life, a means of staying steady, of keeping level even when the going is rough, the world falling away to one side or the other.

This is so apt for the times. The world really does seem to be falling away, while we all work hard at staying balanced. I never thought I would appreciate the word equanimity - which I heard numerous times every day during my Vipassana course - as much as I do today. One happy chat with Shashank and some of the family is what keeps me going in this largely self-centered life where we are basically concentrating on keeping our surroundings clean, stocking up adequately for our own sustenance and working at keeping ourselves entertained and occupied. All the news , all the hardships one reads about are all on the periphery - it's almost like this lockdown has made all of us take a break and become more selfish than ever before.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment