Saturday, May 13, 2023

Celebrating Shashank ...

My heart is so full just now. While my tea was brewing, I went and sat in the inner courtyard with my eyes closed, and the bulbuls came back. For almost 10 minutes I sat still while they inspected the lamps and then went from branch to branch of the Champa. We will all feel a bit better if they start making a nest again in the same lamp. The remnants of the previous nest are still there inside, so I'm keeping my hopes up. 

Yesterday, a friend of Shashank's said that during a chat about death and after, he mentioned that he'd like to be in our garden always. I cannot imagine why young people in their 30s would even have such a discussion, but then these are strange times, and Shashank had lived through the loss of a friend at 20. All I know is that we never had such a discussion with each other, though everyone who matters knows that I'd like my body to be donated. 

When Ravi walked into the house with the ashes, there was never any doubt in our minds that a part of Shashank would always be with us in our home. And he is, after a heartbreaking dignified ceremony in the beloved inner courtyard.  

It gives me goosebumps to know that this was exactly what Shashank had desired. I wish the need to follow his instructions had come many years later, preferably when we, his parents, were not around to be a part of the proceedings, but then these are strange times. Mad times, as Shashank would say.  

It's funny to have a heart that's feeling so heavy and so light at the same time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment